I should really let Fabien write this post because he is really cheap and passionate about how inexpensive everything is here. Every time we go somewhere he instantly says, “This meal was only 1 euro.” followed by the biggest grin you’ve ever seen.
If an effort to prove to you how inexpensive everything is, I’ve kept track of some of the best deals, converted to US dollars, of course.
- Dinner (rice, beef, vegetables) with a Coke. $1.50
- Monthly subway card. $8
- 1 DVD. Less than $1 (I’ve talked the the DVD guy on the corner into 3 for $1) (See below for my Dollar DVD of the Day)
- 2 hour massage minus the happy ending (that was for you, Ryan). $12
- 1 hour cab ride. $15
- 6 inch sub, chips and drink at Subway. $3
- 1 cup of Starbucks Cafe Americano and blueberry muffin. $6 (Okay, no change here)
- 1 Tiger beer (local brew), 1 Guinness and 2 appetizers at our new neighborhood bar. $10
- 1 French Baguette. $1
- Taylor Swift CD. $7
- 1 round trip train ticket to Hong Kong (2 hours each way). $40
I know you are probably really jealous and angry right now, but that is not the motive behind this post. The goal is to advise you of what a great deal everything is here so you will come visit. Yes, the flight is expensive (direct from Detroit to Hong Kong is $1,100) and you will probably have to use a Squat toilet BUT I think you could justify the humiliation and expense for $12 massages, custom made clothes and $1 DVD’s. See you soon!
Dollar DVD of the Day
I have a lot of time on my hands these days and buying DVD’s is cheaper than renting them, so I’m watching a lot of movies that I’ve wanted to see for a while. When I see a really good one, I’ll go ahead and share. This week I recommend “Love Happens” with Aaron Eckhart and Jennifer Aniston. It’s definitely for the ladies as it’s guaranteed to make you cry. There are a couple unnecessary, cheesy parts, but overall, it is a great movie about a guy dealing with the loss of his wife. And the soundtrack is simply amazing, almost so awesome that you should watch it for that reason alone. Let me know your thoughts.
There are also some pictures posted of our weekend in Hong Kong in the Photo Gallery.